Marriage License Information

Married on the beach

A Marriage License or Contract is Required

No one can get your wedding license or contract for you! 

There are no witnesses required in either Alabama or Florida.

Before the ceremony, you will need to obtain a marriage license from the state in which we are marrying you unless you have contacted your county marriage license clerk and confirmed that your state's license can be used in Alabama or Florida. (One exception is Arkansas. Steve is also registered in Arkansas, which means you can bring your Arkansas marriage license to Alabama and he can marry you here.)

A few states allow their marriage licenses to be used in Alabama or Florida. Others do not.  It even varies between counties. It is your responsibility to check with your county marriage department! If they tell you it is OK, we are happy to sign an out of state marriage license.

Until August 24, 2019, Alabama marriage licenses can be obtained from any Alabama County Probate Court and are good for the entire state for 30 days. There is no waiting period, blood tests or witnesses needed.​ Click HERE for Alabama Probate Court locations and telephone numbers. After August 24, 2019, Alabama will no longer require a marriage licence, only that you sign a marriage contract and have it filed at the probate court. We will post additional information about Alabama's new law as it becomes available.

​​If you wish to get one when you get down here, the county for Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Ft. Morgan is Baldwin County. The City of Bay Minette (County Seat) is the only place to obtain a marriage license in Baldwin County. Bay Minette is an easy drive of about an hour each way from Gulf Shores. Their fee is $70. For their website, click HERE.

The county for Mobile is Mobile County. For their website, click HERE. It is a drive of about an hour and fifteen minutes each way from Gulf Shores. Their fee is $74. However, if you are driving from points west of Alabama on a weekday, it is more convenient to stop in Mobile on your way down.

For Pensacola, Florida (Escambia County) marriage license information, click HERE. (This includes Perdido Key.) Their cost is $93.50. If both of you are from states other than Florida, there is no waiting period and the license is good for 60 days. If either of you live in Florida, there is usually a three day waiting period.

Your marriage certificate will be mailed to you for the purposes of name changes. It is the only document you will need.

Mobile and Baldwin Counties no longer offer courthouse weddings by the Judge or Clerk!​

Distances and Maps

Baldwin County Probate Court



From Gulf Shores, the Baldwin County Probate Court is about 50 miles or 1 hour and 10 minutes away.

Mobile County Probate Court



From Gulf Shores, the Mobile County Probate Court is about 53 miles or 1 hour and 10 minutes away. Be careful to check traffic on I-10, especially during the summer months as it is frequently backed up.

Escambia County Circuit Clerk



If I am marrying you in Florida, the distance from Gulf Shores to the Circuit Clerk's office, where you must obtain your marriage license, is about 33 miles and one hour's drive away.